Monday, December 6, 2010

The Tell-Tale Kidney

My name is Kevin, and welcome to the ongoing adventures of my kidney health! My wife and I decided to start this blog as a way to keep family and friends updated on my health and well-being, but also as a means to document everything that happens from diagnosis until long after a successful kidney transplant for anyone that might be curious. When I had my original kidney transplant in 2008 we found that there really wasn't a lot of information out there about what a transplant actually means for a patient and his or her family.

Well, its two years into the life of the kidney my father gave me, and its time for another transplant. While this is going to be a difficult time for my wife and me, we'd like to share our experiences here so that anyone who's curious as to how things are going with us (or just how things happen with any prospective kidney transplant) can check in. We figure if we're going to ask you to help us pay to keep me alive, the least we can do is keep you up to do date on how that endeavor fares.

More to come later!

2 comments:

  1. First blogpost in and I already have a question Kevin. Why is your dad's kidney no longer playing ball? Does this happen often with kidneys that they are given and then give up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not something they were able to easily explain. I had a lot of complications, including a viral infection that resulted in some tissue scarring, but there wasn't anything they could point to as a cause for the rejection. My kidney function just keeps getting worse and none of the treatments worked.

    ReplyDelete